Reconciliation Preparation for 2nd Graders – Session 6
You have a place in God’s story as does your child. He wants you to find your place and do what He sent you here for; becoming the best you can be – becoming a saint. (And yes, we can all become saints!)
When you are working with your child, remember to be patient. Venerable Fulton Sheen once wrote: “Patience is power. Patience is not an absence of action; rather it is ‘timing.’ It waits on the right time to act, for the right reasons, and in the right way.”
God bless you and your child as you finish the last part of the immediate preparation for your child’s first Reconciliation. December 1, 2018 at 10AM
Links for parents and children below.
- To demonstrate that great habits help us to become the best we can become.
- To explain that dialy prayer helps us hear God’s voice and gives us courage to do what He is inviting us to do.
- To teach that gratitude for God’s blessings fills us with joy.
DO THE SESSION TOGETHER
- Pray together the oopening prayer on page 177.
- “This episode is all about great moments. Name a great moment in your life so far.” Watch episode 1.
- “In this episode, Fr. Tom and Ben have a great conversation about all the ways we can hear God’s voice in our lives. God speaks to you too.” Watch episode 2.
- Share with your child how you learned to pray. Watch episode 3.
- “Great habits help us to become the-best-version-of-ourselves. Ben, Sarah, Hemingway, and their firends share with us some of their favorite habits.” Watch episode 4.
- Read together page 186 and 187 about daily prayer. Discuss someone current or past that you or they really admire. Encourage your child to see the connection between champions and great habits.
- “Let’s find out about one of Jesus’ favorite habits.” Watch episode 5. “If Jesus needed quiet time, don’t you think we do too?”
- “Tiny is feeling very sad but his friends suggest an activity to hel Tiny remember how blessed he is.” Watch episode 6.
- Make your own gratitude list on page 193.
- Let your child know how proud you are of them for making this next sacrament in their steps to become closer to Jesus!!
- Your child can review this session by doing the activities on pages 196 and 197.
- Invite your child to write a letter to Jesus, page 199.
- Turn to pages 200-201 for closing prayer and watch episode 7.
- “What are some of the most imortant things you learned in this session?”
Beginning on page 203, is a Catechism for your child. These questions and answers provide an excellent opportunity for you to discuss the foundations of our faith. You may use the references to further explore with your child and to further explore for yourself.
I hope that you enjoyed working with your child and Nativity can continue to support you and your family in their faith journey.