First Communion Preparation for 2nd Graders – Session 4
There were two times when people fled from Jesus: after his arrest and crucifixion, after his teaching on the Eucharist. This is the most important session for your child, and you have the privilege to work on this session together.
Jesus said, “I am the bread of life…Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you” (John 6:48,53).
Immediately after this, we read in the Gospel: “When many of his disciples heard it, they said, ‘this is a difficult teaching; who can accept it?’” (John6:60) and a few lines later we read, “After this, many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him” (John 6:66)
Belief in the true presence of the Eucharist is the one thing that’s going to keep your child from fleeing Jesus just as many of the first disciples did. It is also the one thing that will keep you from fleeing Jesus.
OBJECTIVES FOR SESSION 4
- To proclaim that Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist.
- To explain that the Eucharist is food for our souls.
- To teach that Holy Communion is a lifelong blessing we should never take for granted.
(Some videos for parents are at the end of the lesson. Find more for you and your children on Formed.)
DO THE LESSON TOGETHER
- Begin by praying together the prayer found on page 111.
- Introduce Episode 1: Get ready to find out what happens when Ben forget to feed Hemingway! Watch Episode 1.
- Sarah mentions six ways to feed your soul. What are they? (pgs. 112-113)
- Introduce Episode 2: Fr. Tom helps all the friends understand the Liturgy of the Eucharist. Watch Episode 2. (pgs. 114-115)
- Read paragraphs 5 and 6 to your child on page 116. Ask them what one way they would like to ask God to help in their lives this Sunday. They may write this prayer in their book.
- Pages 118-119. Questions for your child: What is the most important part of the Mass? (Eucharistic Prayer) Why is the Eucharistic Prayer the most important part of the Mass? (This is when Jesus comes to be with us. Jesus becomes truly present in the form of bread and wine.)
- Look at pages 120-121. Do you know what scene in Jesus’ story this picture is from? (Jesus’ entrance into Jerusalem the week he is killed. We remember this moment every year on Palm Sunday.) Explain: As Jesus entered Jerusalem for the last time, the people laid palm branches down and shouted “Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the coming of our ancestor David! Hosanna in the highest heaven!” (Mark 11:9-10).
- Introduce Episode 3: Fr. Tom, leads Ben, Sarah, Hemingway, and their friends on an adventure. Let’s find out where they end up? Watch Episode 3.
- Read the last paragraph on page 124 together. What does this verse from the Gospel of John say to you? (John 3: 16)
- Read pages 126 and 127 with your child. Share a memory from your first Communion and ask your child if they have any questions about receiving Jesus for the first time. (We will practice in our next session together.)
- Introduce Episode 4: Fr. Tom shares an amazing story about a miracle that took place in Italy. Watch Episode 4. (pgs. 128-129)
- Introduce Episode 5: Ben tells us about the moment the disciples received their First Communion. Watch Episode 5. (pgs. 130-131)
- Introduce Episode 6: In this episode, Ben and Sarah give us some great ideas on how we can share God’s blessing with others. Watch Episode 6. (pgs. 132-133)
- Read together the last 2 paragraphs on page 135. Discuss how you can share your blessings with others.
- Take a few moments for your child to do pages 136-137.
- Give your child a few quiet moments to journal on page 139.
- Introduce Episode 7: We are going to pray with Ben. Watch Episode 7. Discuss the most important things you learned in this session.